Gridiron Football Louisiana Player of the Week Previous Winners:
Week 1: St. Edmund High School Freshman Running Back Kevon Johnson
Week 2: Ouachita High School Junior Running Back Carldell Sirmons
Week 3: Oak Grove High School Sophomore Quarterback Jackson Bradley
Week 4: North Caddo High School Senior Wide Receiver Omarion Miller
Week 5: Benton High School Senior Quarterback Gray Walters:
Week 6: Avoyelles High School Junior Running Back Decareyn Sampson
Week 7: Dutchtown High School Junior Defensive Tackle Diego Spears
Week 8: Rosepine High School Senior Athlete Aden Cline
1. St. Thomas More High School junior QB Sam Altmann:
After Walker Howard has graduated, St. Thomas More continues its tradition of producing great players under center and the next guy that has emerged as the Cougars’ signal caller is junior Sam Altmann. In a big 42-34 victory over the defending Class 4A State Champion Westgate Tigers, Altmann showed up when the lights were brightest completing 20 of 32 passes for 389 yards and 5 TDs with no interceptions against a talented Tigers secondary to improve the team’s record at 8-1. With this big statistical performance against one of the top programs in the state, Sam Altmann gets our number one spot for Week 9.
Once again, we appreciate every coach for sending in your player nomination. All of the players that were sent by coaches were talked about in the article or on the show. To check out this week’s Gridiron Football Player of the Week show, click below as Jace and intern Tyler Barros breakdown the standout performances in Louisiana from this week below. Make sure to subscribe and hit the bell in order to keep up with all of our Player of the Week videos!
2. Pope John Paul II High School freshman TE Gus Pizza:
Pope John Paul II High School freshman tight end Gus Pizza had only four catches for 60 yards, but three of those catches went for touchdowns in a 49-14 win over Springfield. Considering that he outscored the opposing team and was a freshman tight end in doing so made it much more of an eye opening performance.
3. Avoyelles High School senior RB Carlos Bazert Jr.:
With a district championship on the line for the Avoyelles Mustangs, it was the Mustangs’ top ball carrier Carlos Bazert Jr. that led the way for a three headed rushing attack that all went off in its 68-45 victory over Rosepine. Bazert had 33 carries for 290 yards and 4 TDs plus 3 2 point conversions to account for 30 of the team’s 68 points. With close to 5,000 career rushing yards and over 60 touchdowns, this may have been the veteran bulldozing running back’s finest performance as a Mustang considering it gave Avoyelles its first district championship.
4. Parkview Baptist High School senior LB Micah Johnson:
Parkview Baptist High School senior linebacker Micah Johnson showed why he can be a one man wrecking crew in a 37-0 shutout win over Port Allen as he had 10 tackles (5 solo), a forced fumble on defense, and a 11 yard fumble return for TD. Offensively, the Eagles’ Division I prospect also added a 16 yard touchdown reception at tight end.
5. Ouachita Christian High School senior QB Landon Graves:
Ouachita Christian High School senior quarterback Landon Graves has had an exceptional career with the Eagles, especially after replacing a program legend in Hunter Herring at quarterback and leading the team to a state championship appearance last season. He is continuing to pad on the numbers as the regular season comes to a close. In the 49-18 win over West Meridian High School (MS), Graves completed 17 of 22 passes for 324 yards & 4 TDs while having 2 carries for 26 yards and 1 more TD. Not only was it a 5 TD performance for Graves, but he also went over 5,000 career yards in passing this season in the process.
6. Beekman Charter High School senior QB Franklin Hyde:
Beekman Charter High School senior quarterback Franklin Hyde did not have the most conventional stat line for a quarterback as he played a hand on both offense and defense in a 46-12 win over Plain Dealing completing 5 of 6 passes for 87 yards and 3 TDs under center while having 8 carries for 100 yards and 2 more TDs. He also had an INT returned for a TD accounting for 6 total TDs in three different ways.
7. Southside High School senior RB Cameron Boutte:
Southside High School clinched its first district championship this past Friday thanks to a phenomenal performance from their senior running back Cameron Boutte, who had 34 carries for 201 yards and 3 TDs in the Sharks’ 38-19 win over Lafayette High School.
8. St. Thomas More High School senior WR Christian McNees:
St. Thomas More High School senior wide receiver Christian McNees is one of the best pass catchers to ever come through this pass heavy program moving in the top ten in school history when it comes to receiving yards. He had another big performance in a big matchup against the defending Class 4A State Champion Westgate Tigers with 7 catches for 172 yards and 3 TDs in a big 42-34 win over the Tigers.
9. West Ouachita High School junior RB Antonio Ford:
West Ouachita High School junior running back Antonio Ford carried the load for the Chiefs in a 41-7 win over Pineville with 27 carries for 266 yards and 3 TDs.
10. Catholic High School senior WR Shelton Sampson Jr.:
A big name rounds out the top ten on the Gridiron Football Top Week 9 Performances List in Catholic High School senior wide receiver Shelton Sampson Jr. The LSU commit and the Bears’ all-time leading receiver balled out in the 38-0 district win over Scotlandville with 6 catches for 142 yards and 2 TDs.
Honorable Mentions (No Particular Order):
- Avoyelles High School junior RB Decareyn Sampson: 14 carries for 132 yards and 1 TD plus a 2 point conversion; Also had a 63 yard touchdown catch accounting for 16 points in 68-45 win over Rosepine
- Avoyelles High School senior RB Josh Williams: 18 carries for 129 yards and 3 TDs plus a 2 point conversion accounting for 20 points in 68-45 win over Rosepine
- Cecilia High School senior QB Germonie Davis: Completed 4 of 6 passes for 80 yards and a TD plus 5 carries for 24 yards a 2nd TD, 3 catches for 69 yards and a 3rd TD, and finally, a 80 yard kickoff return TD in 42-13 win over Livonia
- Opelousas High School sophomore RB D’Shaun Ford: 16 carries for 250 and 2 TDs in 45-0 win over Breaux Bridge
- Fisher High School junior ATH Lane Creppel: 24 carries for 170 rushing yards, a fumble recovery for a 36 yard TD, and an interception in 18-8 win over Jefferson Rise Charter
- DeQuincy High School senior RB Eathan Guidry: 150 rushing yards and 3 rushing TDs in 35-33 win over Lake Arthur
- Destrehan High School junior RB Shane Lee: 10 carries for 147 yards and 2 TDs plus a receiving TD in 48-7 win over East St. John
- South Plaquemines High School sophomore RB/WR Daejawn Smith: 5 carries for 51 yards 1 TD & 8 catches for 96 yards and 2 more TDs in 56-26 win over Mentorship Academy
- South Plaquemines High School senior WR Reed Sanger: 5 catches for 42 yards and 3 TDs in 56-26 win over Mentorship Academy
- South Plaquemines High School freshman QB Roderick Parker: Completed 20 of 39 passes for 236 yards and 5 TDs to only 1 INT; Also had 10 carries for 116 yards and 1 more TD in 56-26 win over Mentorship Academy
- Thibodaux High School senior RB Demarcus Singleton: 13 carries for 208 yards and 3 TDs in 47-28 win over Terrebonne
- Eunice High School senior WR Tylon Cooper: 5 catches for 85 yards and 2 TDs; 3 tackles on defense in 38-33 win over Leesville
- Archbishop Hannan High School senior RB Josh Alonzo: 15 carries for 101 yards and 2 TDs in 42-14 loss to Lakeshore
- Archbishop Shaw High School senior RB David Kency: Scored 3 TDs on 3 touches in 48-6 win over Higgins