Gridiron Football Louisiana Player of the Week Previous Winners:
1. Dutchtown High School junior DT Diego Spears:
Who says that this is only an offensive list? We are changing things up this week for Gridiron Football and that is we are selecting a defensive player to be our Gridiron Football Week 7 Player of the Week. After just having offensive players win the award the first couple of weeks, we now have a defensive lineman win the award. Out of all of these huge performances from offensive players, why pick a defensive player? Well, that was because of the dominant performance that Dutchtown High School junior defensive tackle Diego Spears had this past Friday night. Spears was the cornerstone of the Griffins’ 28-0 shutout victory against Live Oak. In the win, the junior defensive lineman had 12 tackles, four tackles for loss, two sacks, a pass deflection, and even helped his team score when he forced a fumble that led to a Dutchtown touchdown. Coming from the interior, makes those numbers even more impressive at a position that does not typically rack up numbers. He was unblockable throughout the entire night and made an impact in the football game, which is rare to see, and that is why Diego Spears is our Week 7 Player of the Week.
Once again, we appreciate every coach for sending in your player nomination. All of the players that were sent by coaches were talked about in the article or on the show. To check out this week’s Gridiron Football Player of the Week show, click below as Jace and intern Tyler Barros breakdown the standout performances in Louisiana from this week below. Make sure to subscribe and hit the bell in order to keep up with all of our Player of the Week videos!
Also, click below to check out Diego Spears and his defensive coordinator Chris Harrell’s interview with Jace on The Chase With Jace show below!
2. Rosepine High School senior RB Grant Ducote:
Rosepine High School’s all-time leading rusher Grant Ducote had another Grant Ducote workmanlike performance in the stat sheet with 227 yards and three touchdowns in the Eagles’ 62-6 win over Pickering, but what stood out most from this particular game is that he put those numbers up on only eight carries averaging 28 yards per touch. As we approach the end of the season, the standout Rosepine runner is bound to be number one on this list, but there was one performance above that stood out the most for Week 7.
3. Oakdale High School senior RB Cedrick Allison:
After being on the other side of it last week when Avoyelles running back Decareyn Sampson had a Player of the Week performance against the Warriors, Oakdale High School produced a player of the week caliber performance themselves from senior running back Cedrick Allison, who had 18 carries for 350 yards and three touchdowns plus a 75-yard kickoff return for a touchdown in a 64-30 win over Mamou.
4. De La Salle High School senior RB PJ Martin:
De La Salle High School senior running back PJ Martin has been consistently stuffing the stat sheet and is coming off another PJ Martin like performance rushing for 273 yards and four touchdowns on the ground while also having four kickoff returns for 126 yards and a fifth touchdown as a return specialist. Overall, Martin had 400 total yards of offense in the Cavaliers’ 48-19 victory over Jefferson Davis (MS). Martin and the Cavaliers are on a mission as their undefeated season continues on.
5. South Lafourche High School junior QB Carson Orgeron:
South Lafourche High School junior quarterback Carson Orgeron was accurate and confident in the Tarpons’ 59-24 victory over Morgan City. The Central Lafourche High School transfer completed 13 of 18 passes for 326 yards and five touchdowns while also having 12 carries for 94 yards and two more touchdowns on the ground. Altogether, Orgeron had 420 total yards and seven touchdowns.
6. Rayne High School sophomore WR Kylin Wheeler:
Rayne High School sophomore wide receiver Kylin Wheeler did a little bit of everything for the Wolves in the team’s 59-36 win over Lagrange as he had 13 carries for 129 yards and a touchdown running the ball, seven catches for 136 yards and two touchdowns as a receiver, and 165 kick return yards plus two more touchdowns in the return game. Overall, Wheeler had 430 total yards of offense, five touchdowns, and scored in three different ways.
7. Woodlawn (Shreveport) High School junior WR Josh Dodson:
Woodlawn (Shreveport) High School junior WR Josh Dodson was a big play waiting to happen this past weekend with four catches for 195 yards and three touchdowns. The 6’3, 190-pound target averaged over 48 yards per grab and had touchdown grabs of 78 yards, 73 yards, and 37 yards in the team’s 50-28 loss to Huntington.
8. Avoyelles High School senior RB Josh Williams:
A week after his teammate Decareyn Sampson was our Gridiron Football Player of the Week, another Avoyelles High School running back made our top 15 performers list in senior Josh Williams. In the Mustangs’ 58-0 win over Holy Savior Menard, Williams had 13 carries for 182 yards and three touchdowns plus three two-point conversions to account for 24 of the team’s 58 total points in the football game.
9. St. John High School junior RB Michael Edwards:
It was the first time that Michael Edwards played running back for the St. John Eagles after playing wide receiver and defensive back previously. The transition was seamless for Edwards as he had 22 carries for 222 yards and three touchdowns in the Eagles’ 39-7 win over Ascension Christian. After a performance like that, it is safe to say that he has made a new home in the Eagles’ backfield.
10. Breaux Bridge High School junior QB Kelby Hypolite:
Breaux Bridge High School junior quarterback Kelby Hypolite showed off his ability as a runner this past Friday in a 49-24 win over Kinder with 270 yards rushing and three touchdowns on 16 carries. As a runner, he averaged 16 yards per carry and had a long of 85 yards. Hypolite also made some plays through the air completing 13 of 21 passes for 165 yards and another touchdown including a long pass of 35 yards. Not to mention, he also had a 24-yard kickoff return to have 459 total yards and four touchdowns.
11. Plaquemine High School senior QB Mike Mitchell:
Plaquemine High School senior quarterback Mike Mitchell is leading an undefeated Green Devils football team and is coming off another dynamic performance for his team. In only three quarters of work in a 60-0 win over Belaire High School, Mitchell threw for 216 yards and three touchdowns while also running for 152 yards and four more touchdowns on 16 carries. Overall, he accounted for 368 total yards and seven touchdowns.
12. John Ehret High School senior LB Jerzey Brown:
John Ehret High School is known for producing linebackers at the next level including the likes of Michael Divinity and Lamin Barrow to just name a few. Jerzey Brown put on a performance that will make these great linebackers that once ran those school halls proud with nine tackles and 4.5 sacks frustrating West Jefferson in the team’s 18-14 victory.
13. North Central High School sophomore QB Craig Malveaux:
North Central High School sophomore quarterback Craig Malveaux kept the Hurricanes in the football game and despite the loss, kept up with Westminster Christian Academy’s offense in a 35-32 loss. In the game, Malveaux completed 27 of 47 passes for 353 yards and four touchdowns plus 63 yards on the ground and a fifth touchdown.
14. Lafayette High School senior RB Jakaylib Anderson:
Lafayette High School senior running back Jakaylib Anderson had a huge night on the ground in a 42-41 losing effort against Sam Houston rushing for 301 yards and three touchdowns on 22 carries.
15. Metairie Park Country Day High School sophomore QB McAllister Callejo:
Metairie Park Country Day High School sophomore quarterback McAllister Callejo only had eight completions on 10 pass attempts for 116 yards in the Cajuns’ 51-7 victory over Willow High School in New Orleans, but five of those eight completions went for touchdowns. Completing half of your passes for touchdowns is as explosive one could produce at the quarterback position and that’s what he did this past Friday.
Honorable Mentions (No Particular Order):
- East Ascension High School senior QB Antwone Foster: 16 carries for 135 yards and 3 TDs in 45-28 win over Walker
- Archbishop Shaw High School senior RB David Kency: 22 carries for 219 yards and 2 TDs plus 1 catch for 38 yards in a 38-14 win over Belle Chasse
- Slidell High School senior QB Luke Guidry: Completed 21 of 30 passes for 311 yards and 2 TDs in 37-20 win over Ponchatoula
- Avoyelles High School junior RB Decareyn Sampson: 14 carries for 127 yards and 3 TDs plus 2 catches for 135 yds and 2 more TDs in 58-0 win over Holy Savior Menard
- Beekman High School junior RB Devon Guyewski: 12 carries for 159 yards and 2 TDs in 32-8 win over Gueydan
- Loreauville High School senior RB Evan Simon: 22 carries for 150 yards, 2 receptions for 43 yards, and 4 total TDs in 46-20 win over Franklin
- Catholic High School (New Iberia) sophomore QB Luke Landry: Completed 12 of 17 passes for 220 yards and 2 TDs in 30-0 win over Delcambre
- Metairie Park Country Day High School senior RB Jack Schwing: 16 carries for 151 yards and 1 TD; 1 catch for 45 yards and a 2nd TD in 51-7 win over Willow
- Metairie Park Country Day High School senior TE Clayton Gehman: 4 catches for 51 yards and 3 TDs in 51-7 win over Willow
- Cecilia High School senior QB Germonie Davis: Completed a 29-yard pass; Had 3 carries for 41 yards, and had 3 catches for 82 yards and 1 TD in 48-7 win over Beau Chene
- Bonnabel High School junior WR Julian Price: 6 catches for 121 yards and 3 TDs in 29-26 win over East Jefferson
- Lutcher High School senior QB D’Wanye Winfield: 30 carries for 231 yards and 3 TDs; Completed 3 of 6 passes for 41 yards and 1 TD; Accounted for 272 total yards and 4 total TDs in 35-14 win over Hahnville
- Union Parish High School senior CB D’Antwone Hopkins: 103 yard interception returned for a touchdown in 29-21 win over Sterlington
- Lafayette High School senior QB Grayson Saunier: Completed 6 of 11 passes for 139 yards with 1 passing TD and 1 rushing TD in 42-41 loss to Sam Houston
- Lafayete High School senior RB Jason Arceneaux: 16 carries for 110 yards and 1 TD in 42-41 loss to Sam Houston
- Lafayette High School senior WR Kamorie Boyd: 2 catches for 27 yards and 1 TD in 42-41 loss to Sam Houston