Gridiron Football Louisiana Player of the Week Previous Winners:
Week 1: St. Edmund High School Freshman Running Back Kevon Johnson
Week 2: Ouachita High School Junior Running Back Carldell Sirmons
Week 3: Oak Grove High School Sophomore Quarterback Jackson Bradley
Week 4: North Caddo High School Senior Wide Receiver Omarion Miller
Week 5: Benton High School Senior Quarterback Gray Walters:
1.Avoyelles High School junior RB Decareyn Sampson:
After going through the air with either a quarterback or a wide receiver being our top performance the previous three weeks, we go back to the ground game as a running back takes our spot as the number one performance of Week 6. The Avoyelles Mustangs are known for their double tight double wing offense that is very tough to defend, and it was very tough to defend for the Oakdale Warriors Friday night as the Mustangs’ junior running back Decareyn Sampson only had 9 carries, but had 274 yards rushing and 5 TDs off of those caries averaging an unbelievable 30 yards per carry. Not to mention, Sampson had 2 more TDs off of 3 catches through the air to have 7 total TDs off only 12 offensive touches. Sampson made the most of all of his opportunities and because of that, he is our number one player of Week 6!
Once again, we appreciate every coach for sending in your player nomination. All of the players that were sent by coaches were talked about in the article or on the show. To check out this week’s Gridiron Football Player of the Week show, click below as Jace and intern Tyler Barros breakdown the standout performances in Louisiana from this week below.
2. Kaplan High School senior FB Caden Campisi:
Kaplan High School senior fullback Caden Campisi has been a mainstay on this list week in and week out as he has been been putting up incredible numbers all season long. With this type of consistency, Campisi is bound to be our number one player on one of these weeks, but was just this close to being our top guy as he is showing everybody that the fullback position is alive and well. Campisi had 33 carries for 304 yards and 5 rushing TDs plus a 6th TD as a receiver in the team’s 49-35 win over Crowley.
3. Rosepine High School senior RB Grant Ducote:
Rosepine High School’s all-time leading rusher Grant Ducote had another productive day in the office wand continuing to pad his already impressive numbers in the record books with 241 yards rushing on 32 carries and 5 TDs in 42-22 win over 1A powerhouse Logansport.
4. St. Edmund High School freshman RB Kevon Johnson:
St. Edmund High School RB Kevon Johnson was our inaugural player of the week award winner and has continued his eye opening freshman campaign with another dominant performance. This time, he made an impact on both sides of the football in a 49-8 win over North Central with 22 carries for 225 yards and 4 TDs on offense along with 2 INTs on defense. Despite the Blue Jays not playing in one less game than anybody else, Johnson is the number 11 rusher in the entire state.
5. Leesville High School sophomore RB Xavier Ford:
The Leesville High School Wampus Cats are known for running the football as there have been a lot of great runners over the years that have come through the program such as Cecil Collins, Michael Ford, Eddie Fuller, Vincent Fuller, the Gallashaw brothers, and now, it looks like there is another talented running back coming in Xavier Ford. The sophomore running back was the workhorse in the team’s 41-18 win over Washington Marion with 32 carries for 359 yards and 5 TDs.
6. Holy Savior Menard High School senior RB Rubin Seastrunk :
Holy Savior Menard High School senior RB Rubin Seastrunk was leaned on heavily for the Eagles and found the end zone plenty of times throughout the contest as he had 16 carries for 224 yards and 5 TDs in a 51-0 win over Pickering High School.
7. South Plaquemines High School sophomore WR Daejawn Smith:
South Plaquemines High School sophomore WR Daejawn Smith was a threat to score every time he touched the football this past week and he was the main reason his team was able to escape with a victory as he had five catches for 151 yards and 3 TDs while also having another five carries for 39 yards and a fourth TD in a 37-35 win over Houma Christian.
8. Lutcher High School senior QB D’Wanye Winfield:
Lutcher High School senior QB D’Wanye Winfield is a true dual threat as he can beat you with his arm and his legs. The numbers don’t lie as he has over 1,000 yards passing and 1,000 yards rushing. Winfield shows his dual threat ability this past Friday in a 42-7 win over South Terrebonne completing 12 of 20 passes for 175 yards and 3 TDs while also having 19 carries for 136 yards and 2 more TDs. Overall, he had 311 total yards and 5 TDs in the win.
9. E.D. White High School junior QB Jake Sternfels:
E.D. White High School junior QB Jake Sternfels is a winner for the Cardinals as he helped lead the Cardinals to a Division II State Championship appearance last season and he is playing winning football this season. Last week, Sternfels completed 8/10 passes for 144 yards and 3 TDs while also having 13 carries for 94 yards and 2 more TDs in a 56-10 win over Patterson.
10. Jeanerette High School sophomore QB Zyon Colar:
Jeanerette High School sophomore QB Zyon Colar put up some incredible numbers despite the Tigers falling just short in a 41-34 loss to an undefeated Hanson Memorial squad completing 19 of 25 passes for 347 yards, 4 TDs, and 1 2 point conversion.
11. Martin Luther King High School senior WR/FS Darunce Allen:
Martin Luther King High School senior WR/FS Darunce Allen was one of three standout performances submitted by Coach Joseph Riley. This performance was the most impressive having 2 TDs on offense as a receiver and scoring another TD on an interception return in a 49-6 win over Tara.
12. Madison Prep High School sophomore QB Tylan Johnson:
Madison Prep High School sophomore QB Tylan Johnson is doing a great job in replacing the big shoes of program great Zeon Chriss as he is coming off a very efficient performance completing 11 of 16 passes for 235 yards and 5 TDs in a 39-0 win over Port Allen.
13. Denham Springs High School junior safety Da’Shawn McBryde:
Denham Springs High School junior safety Da’Shawn McBryde was a ball hawk last week in a 33-0 win over Live Oak making plays all over the field with 6 solo tackles, 3 assists, 2 PBUs, and 2 INTs returned for TDs with one coming on a 60 yard return and the other coming on a 55 yard return.
14. Benton High School senior WR Pearce Russell:
After coming up just a spot short of being our top player for Week 5, Benton High School senior WR Pearce Russell is back inside our top 15 list of top performances for Week 6. The program’s all-time leading receiver is a huge reason for the success of one of the hottest offenses in the state as the Tigers scored 62 points in their win against Natchitoches Central on Friday. In the win, Russell and his quarterback Gray Walters continue their connection as the senior had 9 catches for 155 yards and 3 TDs.
15. Northlake Christian High School freshman RB Kameron Casnave:
Northlake Christian High School running back Kameron Casnave has been having a phenomenal freshman year and continues it after having 25 carries for 157 yards and 5 TDS in a 42-0 win over Springfield.
Honorable Mentions (In No Particular Order):
- Scotlandville High School senior QB Zae Teasett: Completed 13/25 passes for 269 yards and 4 TDs in 53-27 win over Central (B.R.)
- Airline High School junior RB Tre Jackson: Completed a pass for a 26 yard TD; Had 6 catches for 105 yards and 2 TDs; Had 9 carries for 50 yards rushing in 42-14 win over Captain Shreve
- Jewel Sumner High School senior RB Darren Thomas: 14 carries for 119 yards; 4 catches for 93 yard; 16 total touches for 212 yards and a TD averaging 13 yards per touch in 48-30 win over Slaughter Charter
- De La Salle High School junior RB Jeremiah Wills: 11 carries for 159 yards averaging 14.5 yards per carry with a long run of 53 yards. Also had a 12 yard TD reception in 38-7 win over Kenner Discovery
- Terrebonne High School freshman RB Alvin Celestin: 14 carries for 144 yards and 3 TDs in 39-29 loss to A.J. Ellender
- Winnfield High School senior CB Trey Starks: 50 yd TD Run; 70 yd TD KO Return; 40 yd TD reception in 48-28 win over Lakeview
- Red River High School senior RB Leonard Mosley: 16 rush 203 yards TD in 28-22 win over Jonesboro Hodge
- Metairie Park Country Day High School senior RB Jack Schwing: 13 carries for 174 yards, 2 kickoff returns for 60 yards and a punt return for 10 yards in 37-14 win over Frederick Douglass
- Metairie Park Country Day High School senior DT Jake Ibieta: 8 total tackles, 2 sacks, 2 TFLs, 1 caused fumble, and 5 QB hurries in 37-14 win over Frederick Douglass
- Mamou High School senior ATH Devin Ardoin: 23 carries for 231 yards and 4 TDs (had another 60 yard TD called back); 2 catches for 24 yards; 3 kickoff returns for 69 yards; Accounted for 324 total yards of offense in 36-31 win over Ville Platte
- St. Mary’s High School senior LB Logan Watson: 7 tackles, 2.5 sacks, 3 TFLs, and 1 INT in 56-8 win over LaSalle
- University Lab School junior WR Seth Gale: 7 catches for 157 yards and 3 TDs in 42-0 win over Tylertown (MS)
- Cecilia High School senior RB Ridge Collins: 6 carries for 14 yards and 2 TDs. Had 2 catches for 44 yards and 2 more TDs. Also had 7 total tackles and 1 sack on defense.
- Haynesville High School senior FB Toby Franklin: 24 carries for 155 yards and 2 TDs, Also had 1 INT, a 35 yard punting average, and 2 touchbacks on kickoffs in a 28-21 win over Oak Grove
- Jeanerette High School junior TE Traville Frederick: 7 catches for 121 yards and 2 TDs plus a 2 point conversion in 41-34 loss to Hanson Memorial
- Opelousas High School sophomore RB D’Shaun Ford: 20 carries for 130 yards in 40-21 win over New Iberia
- Livonia High School senior RB CJ Johnson: 16 carries for 154 yards and 2 TDs averaging 7.9 yards per carry in 50-26 win over Beau Chene
- Tara High School senior FB/DE Jashawn Beauchamp: 5 tackles, 3 TFLs on defense and a 60 yard TD on offense in 49-6 loss to Martin Luther King
- Martin Luther King High School junior QB Joseph Riley IV: Completed 7 of 9 passes for 116 yards and 2 TDs in 49-6 win over Tara
- Martin Luther King High School senior RB Marcus Robertson: 72 yards rushing and a TD in 49-6 win over 49-6 win over Tara
- Plaquemine High School senior RB Devin Lanieu: 12 carries for 224 yards and 2 TDs in 43-14 win over Brusly
- Caldwell Parish High School senior RB Jamal McDowell (Late Submission): 38 carries for 338 yards and 3 TDs in 43-18 win over Bunkie
You must be logged in to post a comment.