High school football is back, which means one thing, and that is the return of the Gridiron Football Player of the Week series. This is the second year that Gridiron Football is bringing back the series, but this time, we are opening it to not just Louisiana, but nationally so there will be players throughout the year that will represent multiple states around the country. Make sure to visit our website at www.gridironfootballusa.com every Tuesday for our weekly top player performance list. All of these players have been sent by their coaches.
- Lafayette Christian Academy 2024 QB & LSU Commit Ju’Juan Johnson:
For the first time ever, we have a two time winner of the Gridiron Football Player of the Week award, and is none other than LCA 2024 QB and LSU commit Ju’Juan Johnson. The #2 Gridiron Football player of the year has been posting video game numbers throughout his prep career for the Knights, and he did it again to start the season as he threw for 362 yards and 4 TDs while also running for 137 yards and 4 TDs. Not only did he post those big numbers, but what is most impressive is that he did so against Louisiana power Acadiana in a 61-36 win while also helping give his new head coach . After becoming the #2 player of the year last year, needless to say, the LSU Tigers four star commit is gunning for the #1 spot in 2023.
2. Istrouma High School 2026 WR Kyree Paul:
It was a great debut for Sid Edwards at Istrouma High School as the Indians defeated Capitol 43-6, but it was their sophomore wide receiver Kyree Paul that turned out to be a human highlight reel. Although Paul only touched the ball five times, he made basically every touch count as the speedy playmaker had a 68-yard punt return for a touchdown, a 72-yard punt return for a touchdown, a 75-yard touchdown catch, and even a 35-yard interception return for a touchdown. Needless to say, every time that Paul touched the football, it was going to be trouble for the Lions.
3. Bogalusa High School 2024 QB Ashton Levi:
Bogalusa High School 2024 QB Ashton Levi has been one of Louisiana’s most productive quarterbacks over his prep career and started off his senior season by having another impressive stat line. In the Lumberjacks’ season opening 36-31 win over Franklinton, Levi accounted for 34 of the team’s 36 points to get a close, high scoring victory. In the contest, the veteran dual threat quarterback threw for 263 yards and 3 TDs while rushing for 169 yards and 2 more TDs to go along with 2 two-point conversions.
4. Parkview Baptist High School 2025 QB Abram Johnston:
Parkview Baptist High School 2025 QB Abram Johnston came up on top and helped the Eagles defeat the Dunham Tigers in a classic 52-46 shootout as Johnston did everything that was necessary to keep up with the Tigers’ talented young quarterback Elijah Haven. It was a type of game that was a defensive coach’s nightmare with Johnston completing 13 of 18 passes for 232 yards and 3 TDs while running the ball 14 times for 168 yards and 2 more TDs to give the Eagles’ offense an impressive start to the season.
5. Evangel Christian Academy 2024 WR Parker Fulghum:
Although it came in a very close 30-29 loss to Neville High School, Evangel Christian Academy 2024 WR Parker Fulghum certainly did his part in helping his team be in position to win the game at the end. As he has often done throughout his prolific prep career, the son of former Evangel Christian Academy great and LSU QB Josh Booty put up some big numbers at the receiver position with 11 catches for 234 yards and 3 TDs as he and his brother Peyton Fulghum continue to show why they have such great chemistry at quarterback and wide receiver.
6. Center High School (TX) 2024 RB Kaden Dixon:
Our first out of state top performer that makes our Top 10 performances list is Center High School (TX) 2024 running back and Gridiron Football All-American Bowl Game commit Kaden Dixon. At 6’1, 190 pounds with 4.48/40 speed, Dixon is one of the most underrated running backs in the country and is used to putting up big time numbers for the Roughriders including what he did this past Friday in a 66-20 victory against Spring Hill High School. It was another day at the office for the talented running back as he finished with 19 carries for 337 yards and 4 TDs. What is even crazier about this stat line is that he should have had a fifth rushing touchdown, but it was called back. There is no denying that when Dixon puts stats like this, the Roughriders are pretty tough to beat.
7. Westlake High School 2025 WR Kevin Rideau:
Westlake High School 2025 WR Kevin Rideau only had four catches in the Rams’ 40-7 win over the DeQuincy Tigers, but he made the most of his opportunities with 193 yards receiving and 3 TDs. The 6’3, 175 big target averaged close to 50 yards per catch as the athletic Rideau used his basketball background to become a big play option for head coach John Richardson’s offense.
8. Terrebonne High School 2024 WR and LSU commit Kylan Billiot:
Terrebonne High School 2024 WR Kylan Billiot is the highest rated wide receiver in Louisiana and showed why he is a LSU commit by taking over the season opener with 7 catches for 131 yards and 4 TDs in the 42-7 win over South Terrebonne. At 6’4, 190 pounds with 4.5/40 speed, Billiot is going to be tough for any opposing team to cover and this was one of those showings why it will be tough for defensive backs to cover the rising talent.
9. Cecilia High School 2025 QB Diesel Solari:
Cecilia High School 2025 QB Diesel Solari begins his comeback season after tearing his ACL last season with a bang as he made plays not only as a quarterback, but as a special teams’ player in the Bulldogs’ 49-27 win over St. Martinville. In the win, the athletic Solari completed 7 of 9 passes for 97 yards while rushing for 94 yards on 11 carries, returning a 96-yard kickoff return for a touchdown, and finally, blocking a punt.
10. Bunkie High School 2025 QB Dillon Compton:
Bunkie High School 2025 QB Dillon Compton had himself a huge game after he suffered from heat exhaustion in the jamboree the week before. The athletic dual threat quarterback was certainly ready to go as he put on a show in a 47-12 win over Catholic Pointe Coupee by completing 10 of 13 passes for 113 yards and a touchdown to go along with 19 carries for 230 yards and 4 more TDs on the ground to give the Panthers a big season opening win.
Honorable Mentions (No Particular Order):
- Collegiate Baton Rouge 2024 LB David Hueing: 12 tackles, a forced fumble, and one sack in 20-8 loss to Sophie B. Wright
- Covington High School 2024 RB David Harris: 22 carries for 218 yards and 2 TDs; 2 catches for 11 yards, 2 tackles, & 1 forced fumble in 34-18 win over John Ehret
- Oak Grove High School 2025 QB Jackson Bradley: Completed 10/13 passes for 201 yds passing and 4 TDs; Had 6 carries for 104 yards and 2 TDs rushing on the ground in 49-13 win over Opelousas Catholic.
- Fontainebleau High School 2025 WR Sebastian Miller: 4 catches for 160 yards and 1 TD in 24-0 win over Lakeshore
- North Caddo High School 2025 QB Mason Jackson: Completed 10 of 17 passes and had 17 carries to account for 275 total yards of offense; Also had 2 PBUs on defense in 46-38 loss to Bossier
- Kaplan High School 2024 FB Jed Devoltz: 31 carries for 231 yards and 2 TDs in 18-14 win over North Vermilion
- Lafayette High School 2025 QB Kevon’te Landry: Completed 16 of 30 passes for 293 passing yards and a TD plus 8 carries for 95 yards and 4 TDs in 49-8 win over H.L. Bourgeois
- St. Edmund High School 2026 RB Kevon Johnson: 30 carries for 180 yards and 1 TD in 26-14 loss to South Lafourche
- Iota High School 2024 RB Jacob Cormier: 11 carries for 185 yards and 1 TD with a long of 72 yards in 21-14 win over Iowa
- St. Helena High School 2025 LB Jarvis Brister: 12 solo tackles, 6 TFLs, & 5 assisted tackles in 14-12 win over Jewel Sumner
- Westminster Christian Academy (Lafayette) 2025 QB Brock Stomps: Completed 12 of 20 passes for 256 yards and 5 TDs with 5 carries for 22 yards in 42-0 win over Berchmans Academy
- Southside High School 2025 DB Derrick Collins: 8 solo tackles, 6 assists, 2 TFLs, & 1 INT in 27-18 win over Notre Dame
- Eunice High School 2024 WR Jared Thomas: 8 catches for 154 yards & 2 TDs while completing one pass for 21 yards and another TD pass on offense; Had 1 PBU and 1 fumble recovery on defense in 37-34 win over Church Point
- St. Michael High School 2024 QB Preston Sentino: 21 carries for 178 yards and 2 TDs rushing; Completed 4/5 passes for 52 yards in 27-24 win over Episcopal
- Ouachita Christian High School 2024 RB Zach White: 15 carries for 140 yards and 2 TDs, and 3 receptions for 47 yards on offense. Had 3 tackles and an INT on defense as the OCS Eagles defeated back-to-back state Champion Dallas Christian 17-14 in Shreveport.
- Breaux Bridge High School LB D’Mari Robertson: 12 solo tackles, 7 assists, 1 defensive touchdown with a 44 yard return, 1 caused fumble, 1 recovered fumble, & 2 third down stops in 31-12 win over Franklin
- St. Paul’s High School 2026 RB Troy Willis: 12 carries for 133 yards and 1 TD in 49-6 win over West Jefferson
- St. Paul’s High School 2024 OLB Cale Daigle: 11 tackles, 5 sacks, and 1 sack in 49-6 win over West Jefferson
- U-High 2024 DE Laramie Guidry: 2 TFLs, 1 strip sack, 1 tackle, & 5 QB hurries in 40-6 win over Woodlawn
- Picayune (MS) High School 2024 RB Chris Davis: 243 yards rushing and 4 TDs in 36-35 loss to Catholic High School (B.R.)
- Catholic High School (B.R.) 2024 QB and UL commit Daniel Beale: Completed 10 of 18 passes for 225 yards and 4 TDs plus game winning two-point conversion in 36-35 win over Picayune (MS)
- Salmen High School 2024 RB Jacobi Jefferson: over 200 yards rushing and 5 TDs in 43-34 win over Booker T. Washington
- Frederick Douglass High School 2024 QB Raphael Reed: Completed 17/26 for 291 yards and 3 TDs plus 8 carries for 61 yards and 2 TDs in 34-16 win over Tara
- Chalmette High School 2024 QB Ethan Couvillon: Completed 13/19 passes for 198 yards and 2 TDs in 40-13 season opener against Hannan
- McKinley High School 2024 QB Tyson Camel: Threw for 3 TDs & ran for another in 48-0 win over Baker
- Sylvania High School (AL) 2025 QB Josh Turner: Completed 7 of 9 passes for 182 yards and 5 TDs in 49-14 win over Saks
- Episcopal High School 2024 RB Braeden George: 20 carries for 178 yards and 2 TDs in 27-24 loss to St. Michael
- Grand Lake High School 2024 QB/LB Kaden Taylor: 6 carries for 28 yards and 1 TD on offense; 13 tackles and 1 INT on defense in 34-26 win over Hamilton Christian