Rahsaan “RJ” Matthews Jr. is a class of 2024 quarterback out of Howard High School of Technology in Wilmington, Delaware. RJ is 6’0 and weighs in at about 160 pounds. RJ is a dual-threat quarterback with a strong arm and great athleticism. He has good pocket awareness/presence and has the ability to use his feet to extend plays. Rj also does a great job on play-action passes. He is able to use his speed to beat defenders while also keeping his eyes downfield and reading the defensive coverages. RJ has exceptional arm talent, he has the ability to make every throw on the field whether it’s in the pocket or on the run. He throws an incredible deep ball with a great touch and good ball placement. According to Maxpreps, RJ through six games has 996 passing yards and 13 touchdown passes. He also has over 200 rushing yards and 8 touchdowns. RJ currently has a 3.7 GPA.
- When did you start playing football?
I started playing football at 4 years old.
- What is your biggest strength as a player?
My biggest strength as a player is being able to make plays for my team inside and outside of the pocket.
- Could you talk about the leadership aspect that comes with the quarterback position?
As a quarterback, the whole team looks up to you. With all eyes on you, you have to carry yourself a different way on and off of the field.
- What is your personal goal for this season?
My personal goal is to have 40 plus touchdowns, and receive division 1 offers.
- What have you learned about yourself playing football?
I have learned that as a player, there’s always room for improvement, and i can always get better no matter how “good” everybody says I am or can be.
- Are there any aspects of the game that you worked on this past offseason/summer?
This summer I mainly worked on increasing my speed. Last year I only had 2 rushing touchdowns all year, but this year I already have 8 in the first 5 and a half games.
- What motivates you?
What motivates me is my family, there’s nights where my mom is up working until 1,2,3, and even 4 o’clock in the morning just to make sure I’m ok and I have everything I need.
- What are some of your hobbies?
Most of my hobbies consist of sports, basketball and football. Other than that I play video games sometimes but sports is the main focus.
- What makes you special and different from other players?
The fact that I can throw any ball you need me to on the field, whether it’s on the run, in the pocket, pressure,or no pressure.
- Describe a time where you might have experienced some type of adversity?
Last year we went a disappointing 5-6 and lost in the first round of the playoffs. This was tough for us giving the fact that we just came off an undefeated championship season, we weren’t used to losing.
- Football aside, who is your biggest role model/someone you look up to?
My biggest role model is my dad. He is a great man that put his family and God first. He has always been my role model on and off the football field.
- What is something that you would want college coaches to know about you?
I would want the colleges to know that I will NEVER give up. If there is something that I’m struggling with, you will see me working on that constantly, until I get it right, then on to the next!