Keith Champagne is a determined, 14-year-old football player for Kenner Discovery in Kenner, LA. Keith is a 5’3″ 160 lb Center and Defensive Lineman. He squats an impressive 205 lbs and benches 115 lbs. Keith also runs a 6.50 40-yard dash.
- What inspired you to start playing football?
I watched football my entire life. One day my friend asked me to play with him and I have been hooked ever since.
2. How long have you been playing football?
I’ve been playing football since I was 7 years old. (7 years)
3. What position do you play on the team?
I play Center for my current football team. I can also play on the Defensive Line.
4. Who is your role model in football and why?
My role model is Jason Kelce (Center for Eagles). He is funny, he enjoys the game, and he works hard at his craft.
5. How do you prepare for a game mentally and physically?
I like to get hyped up pre-game and review game plans put in for the opposing team.
6. What is the most challenging aspect of playing football?
The most challenging part is pushing yourself when you are down in the game and have no gas left in the tank.
7. What is the most rewarding aspect of playing football?
The most rewarding part about playing football is that you had a great time and learned a lot throughout the season. Putting in work from spring to playoffs is a journey and is always looked back on as a life experience.
8. Can you tell me about a particularly memorable game or moment in your football career?
Picking up a fumble and returning it for a touchdown once in my life was a great specific moment for me. Playoff and Championship games bring out the excitement in me as well.
9. How do you balance schoolwork and football practice?
I make sure that while I am in school I try my hardest so I am not stressing during practice. I do not like to procrastinate and rather get things done ASAP.
10. What advice would you give to a beginner just starting to play football?
No matter how hard practice and games are you have to keep pushing through and you will be satisfied in the end. Never give up!
11. What are your goals for this season?
My goals for this season are to go undefeated and win the State Championship game. I individually want to put on muscle to become bigger and stronger. This will put me in a better position to be a better football player and become a better man.
12. How does your team work together to achieve success?
We do not try to rely on one player to win a game. We all have to be responsible for every play. We cannot blame any one player for losing. We must trust our coaches’ decisions.
13. How do you handle the pressure of playing in a big game?
The pressure of playing in big games is acknowledging that feeling of joy and trusting yourself as you would for any other game. Big games are the same as any regular game.
14. What are your future plans for football (high school, college, etc)?
I want to be an All-American in High School and eventually get offered to play football at ANY level in college.
15. What is the most important lesson you have learned from playing football?
The most important lesson is to make sure that football is used to make you become a better man and not just better at playing football.