Matthew DeFeo is a class of 2023 defensive end out of Xaverian Brothers High School in Westwood, Massachusetts. Matthew is 6’2.5” and weighs around 250 pounds. He is an aggressive edge rusher with a high motor. Matthew comes off the ball violently and has great techniques. On run plays, Matthew does a great job of squeezing down the line and making a play in the backfield before it can develop. His strength and explosiveness allows him to blow up lead blockers before they can get their hands on him. He has a powerful quick first step and great hand techniques. His hand placement allows him to split double-teams and run downhill to make a play on the ball. When rushing the passer, Matthew has great speed with a good dip and rip technique. He has great leverage and is very good at disengaging his opposition with force. His quick heavy hands and athleticism makes it hard for opposing linemen to get their hands on him. Matthew currently has a 4.19 GPA and an SAT score of 1280.
1. When did you start playing football?
6 years old
2. What would you say is your biggest strength?
Grit, Motor, Mental Toughness. I learned early that mental toughness is the difference in the 4th Quarter, in a game or in life.
3. Did you have any personal goals for this season?
My goal this year was to help my coach and my team win a state championship. Unfortunately we drew a bad bracket and lost in the semi-finals, but I feel like I led my team and worked my hardest, and I know I left it all on the field.
4. What have you learned about yourself while playing football?
I learned that I can accomplish whatever I need to,to be a champion. I’ve been left out and I’ve been passed over, but I’ve learned with hard work, training, and perseverance I can keep getting better and better!
5. Are there any aspects of the game that you worked on this past summer/offseason?
This past season I worked on my burst, get off, and run stop moves. My pass rush moves have been great but I got feedback from several schools that I needed to show myself stopping the run and I think if you watch my highlight and game film, I think you’ll see I accomplished that!
6. What do you love about playing football?
I love the brotherhood that comes with football. I know that when I’m part of a team, it pushes me to be better for them; and then for me!
7. Football aside, who you would say is your biggest role model or someone you look up to?
Football aside, I’d say my Dad is my biggest role model. He works extremely hard, and provides for our family. His attitude towards work was and still is a great inspiration to always do my best!
8. What makes you special and different from everyone else?
I don’t know about everyone else, but I believe the thing that makes me special is my drive. I want to be the absolute best I can be and in everything I do.
9. Could you describe a time that you might have experienced some type of adversity?
My freshman year I experienced a lot of adversity. I became the smallest kid and had to really persevere to do well every day.
10. What are some of your hobbies? Do you play any other sports
Some of my hobbies include reading, playing video games, and my father and I are building a Hot Rod. I throw shot-put in the Spring
11. Are there any current NFL or college players that you like to study their film or maybe model your game after?
I try to emulate Myles Garrett and Aaron Donald in my game. They’re some of the best of the best, and I want to work until I get there!
12. What is something that you would want college coaches to know about you?
I want college coaches to know that I will do anything for the team. I’ve played 6 positions and worn 5 different numbers, I will work as hard as I can to help the team and win!